[Foundation-l] Autocreated globalaccounts

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 22:47:03 UTC 2008

Anders Wegge Keller wrote:
>> "Phil Nash" <pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> I think it should be clear of the context in which this thread has
>>> developed- that of obviously offensive or disruptive usernames;
>>
>> My point exactly. At some point i saw an enwiki policy that usernames
>> containing non-ascii characters was so offensive that it warranted a
>> permanent block. I don't know if that particular policy still stands,
>> but that is beside the point in this case. The actual problem with
>> blocking "offensive" usernames is that what offends in one language
>> could be a perfectly normal name in another. For instance, would you
>> block the user "I fart"?

I agree about differences of language- however, that is one reason I suggest
that only obviously disruptive names should be globally blocked, of the F*CK
J*WS/N*GGERS variety. Each wiki should be open to decide whether a name is
offensive within their policies, global or not. As for en-wiki, we allow
Unicode names, including Kanji and other character sets but there is very
little chance of an offensive name being detected since most accounts are
created but do not ever edit. Watching Special:ListUsers would be a
full-time occupation otherwise.

However, with known vandals slipping over to other wikis to create accounts
and taking advantage of SUL, again a request for global blocking to protect
all wikis should be useful and accessible (I note the link that was posted
yesterday, but I doubt many en:wiki Admins will be aware of it).

And no, I would't block "I fart", but only because I've spent some time in
Denmark and know what it means. Other admins may not have been so lucky.

Cheers.