[Foundation-l] Wikiquote

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:58:15 UTC 2008

>I personally cannot imagine an US court accepting these number
>as "fair use" and I cannot see any educational use of these quotations
>legitimating an exception from our policy.

I'm afraid I don't understand how we reconcile the principle that WMF is
supposed to provide freely-licensed content, and the Wikiquote project is
apparently chock-full of so-called fair use. This is far worse than simply
incorporating fair use media (which is not permitted on many projects for
principled reasons). I can understand a Wikiquote containing quotes which
have fallen out of copyright and I think such a project would be wonderful.
But using fair use to compile quotes seems to me to be a bad idea regardless
of how many there are. So whether a court would accept a fair use defence is
rather immaterial to me - I am more concerned with the principle of having
an entire article/page of solely fair use content. For a WMF project, this
seems nonsensical.

Mike