[Foundation-l] Wikiquote

Klaus Graf klausgraf at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:54:09 UTC 2008

The Village Pump discussion

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Village_pump#Copyright_guidelines_for_trimming_articles

shows that en Wikiquote hasn't really understood that the massive
copyright violations and the violation of the WMF licensing policy
restricting the EDP media to a minimum cannot be tolerated longer.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Seinfeld has 1000+ quotes. In the future
a limit of 5 quotes per episode is planned. Let aside the unsorted
quotes the result would be that the article would have 180 x 5 = 900
quotes. I personally cannot imagine an US court accepting these number
as "fair use" and I cannot see any educational use of these quotations
legitimating an exception from our policy.

Here is an interesting Quote (with educational value):

"A company published a book of trivia questions about the events and
characters of the "Seinfeld" television series. The book included
questions based upon events and characters in 84 "Seinfeld" episodes
and used actual dialogue from the show in 41 of the book's questions.
Important factors: As in the "Twin Peaks" case, the book affected the
owner's right to make derivative "Seinfeld" works such as trivia
books. ( Castle Rock Entertainment, Inc. v. Carol Publ. Group, 150
F.3d 132 (2d Cir. 1998).)"

I would like to ask WMF board and its lawyer to give legal advice to
the en WQ project.

Klaus Graf