[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 06:43:45 UTC 2008

Hoi,
For stalking we do not have a known policy in the WMF. To me it is obvious
that there *is *a need for a protocol that deals with stalking. For your
information, there have been situations in the past where actual stalking
was determined to exist by law enforcement agencies and this did result to
convictions.

When a Wikipedian finds him or herself in a situation where he or she is
stalked in a way as defined in their jurisdiction, they should indeed go to
the police and report their situation. We have learned in the past that the
police is not eager to deal with these situations and it is not unlikely
that they try to fob you off. To ensure the attention of the police, it
helps when you mention that the WMF is this organisation that represents one
of the top ten websites of the world, that the WMF will cooperate with the
police to protect their volunteers.

Going to the police is not a trivial matter, please consider your options
before you take this step. You may want to get some advise first ...

FYI On facebook there is a group dedicated to this subject ...
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=17363516333

Thanks,
       GerardM