[Foundation-l] We have the problem

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 23:55:24 UTC 2008

on 10/27/08 10:53 AM, Milos Rancic at millosh at gmail.com wrote:

> The problem is a systematic one, and thus very serious. While I have
> some clue about the problem, I don't pretend to give the full answer
> about causes, present problems, consequences and possible solutions.
> It should be analyzed by the whole (at least "meta") community not
> just because I am not able to gather all data, but because the whole
> community, or, at least, the significant part of it has to participate
> in the finding solution and implementing it.

<snip>

> There is one more problem with this approach: I don't think that we
> have couple of months. If nothing would happen during the next couple
> of months, the situation will be changed. While changed situation is
> not the end of the world, we would have to redefine our goals. To be
> honest, I think that we came into the situation when just the group of
> professionals (at least in the sense of time which they need to spend)
> is needed.

Thank you for all of this, Milos. And thank you for all of the time and
thought that went into it. Of course any attempt at formalizing the
organizational structure of (at least) the English Wikipedia is going to be
met with strong resistance by the self-appointed "leaders" who have
insinuated themselves into the equation. But it is time to stop tap dancing
on airplane wings and realize that the plane has taken off.

Marc Riddell