[Foundation-l] We have the problem

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 17:48:23 UTC 2008

Milos Rancic wrote:
> [...]
> It should be analyzed by the whole (at least "meta") community not
> just because I am not able to gather all data, but because the whole
> community, or, at least, the significant part of it has to participate
> in the finding solution and implementing it.
>
> The worst method which may be applied in the situations when some
> serious problem exists is to lie ourselves and to say that everything
> is fine, that we just need to interpret data differently.
>
> == Present problems ==
>
> - Communication at this list, as well as other common communication
> channels (except blogs!), tends to decline. I am sending this message
> after two days without any email. While it may be explained with
> weekend days or so, it is definitely not so usual. One day without
> emails is usual just for holidays.
>
> - All groups -- global and local -- tend to close itself. If it is not
> in the sense of delaying incorporation of new members, it is in the
> sense of making a group of persons which are self-sufficient and which
> don't need communication with external part of the community.
>
> - At the project level, especially Wikipedia level, we are not anymore
> in the edit war phase. Actually, edit war phase looks now as super
> healthy phase for the present phase. Present phase is full of much
> more intelligent destructive persons at the projects, and even
> supported by the whole and relevant communities. At the other side,
> people who are willing to deal with such problems don't get enough
> support from the upper levels.
>
> - When one community gets into the ill situation, even we do the right
> things at the right moments -- years (yes, years, one or two, at
> least) have to pass to put that community in the better position. As a
> steward I have some clue what is going on inside of some communities
> and, if my examples -- and there are, I think enough of examples --
> are representative, I have to say that we have very significant
> problems in the most of the communities. Healthy community is an
> exception; bad relations inside of the community is the rule.
>
> - Except the German (and probably Swiss and Polish) chapter, our
> chapters are not more than the groups of Wikipedians which have a
> formal organization in their countries and which don't know what to do
> with it. This is especially important because Wikipedia is not anymore
> "a miracle", but "an ordinary thing" of everyday life. Like an
> ordinary journalist doesn't have some special need to make news about
> Google or IBM, an ordinary journalist doesn't have a special need to
> make news about Wikipedia. During the first year of Wikimedia Serbia,
> I didn't have to call any journalist, they called me. Today, any media
> appearance has to be organized. Every chapter needs a PR strategy now.
> And it is just about PR. What about other things? How many chapters
> are able to fund some project? I think two: German and Swiss. And, as
> far as I am introduced, we have more than 20.

Regardless of any other problems you mention (which are generally
correct), and though "telling others about what they do" does not imply
they actually do something, or though "not telling anything" does not
imply a chapter does not do anything, I would like to point out that the
only chapters you consider active and organized and able to fund
something (German and Swiss) are two chapters who are actually currently
failing to share with other chapters what they do and how they do it.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports

whilst several other chapters took the time to actually COLLECTIVELY
write a report in ENGLISH to explain what they do to the rest of the
collective.

Note that I am not blaming the german and swiss chapters in the least. I
am confident both are active and will inform us in time. I have already
said I do not feel every chapter should inform others every month. So,
that's fine.

However, I am a bit perplex that you built your whole argument around
the ability of these two chapters and the apparent inability of the
others. I am not saying all chapters are a success, but in your
statement, you succeeded to both alienate yourself several chapters, and
fail to convince me due to a flawed argument.

Great  :-)

Ant