[Foundation-l] Schools Wikipedia & GFDL - no direct credit to authors?

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:20:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/10/24 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
> > And directly related (I just noticed this, too):
> >
> > http://schools-wikipedia.org/images/103/10307.jpg.htm
> >
> > From that same F-35 Lightning article, images that were actually deleted
> as
> > non-free images. How are we distributing this?
> >
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/JSF_Images
> >
> > How closely was this all vetted, exactly?
>
> That's unfortunate and the selection should be immeadiately patched to
> remove such images when found, but I don't think it would have been
> reasonable for them to check every image and extract of text to make
> sure it wasn't a copyvio (they trusted Wikipedia/Commons to do that,
> and it just happened a little late).

Late? When were these custom pages put together--this deletion discussion
was way back in August. Trusting Wikipedia/Commons to do vetting and editing
on something this potentially "big" is just sloppy. Grammatical errors,
typos--stuff like that always slips through, even in major encylopedias,
novels, what have you. But flagrant copyright violation images that are
actually carrying a big bold "This image is up for deletion because of a
possible copyright violation" notice??

- Joe