[Foundation-l] Schools Wikipedia & GFDL - no direct credit to authors?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:16:47 UTC 2008

2008/10/24 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
> And directly related (I just noticed this, too):
>
> http://schools-wikipedia.org/images/103/10307.jpg.htm
>
> From that same F-35 Lightning article, images that were actually deleted as
> non-free images. How are we distributing this?
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/JSF_Images
>
> How closely was this all vetted, exactly?

That's unfortunate and the selection should be immeadiately patched to
remove such images when found, but I don't think it would have been
reasonable for them to check every image and extract of text to make
sure it wasn't a copyvio (they trusted Wikipedia/Commons to do that,
and it just happened a little late).