[Foundation-l] Designs and other fundraiser updates

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:51:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Those of you checking Meta may have noticed that there are a few
> designs uploaded for feedback from translators:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/design_drafts
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/benefactors
>
> With the exception of the usual copyrights and trademarks on Wikimedia
> logos & marks, these designs are CC-BY-SA. They are still prototypes
> that we are hoping to implement using the existing skin/translation
> system on wikimediafoundation.org.
>
> Translation has also begun on the key messages of the campaign --
> thanks to everyone who is helping. Rand Montoya is managing the
> fundraiser this year, and will post more detailed updates as things
> progress. Please do feel free to add first feedback to the above
> pages.
>
> We're currently planning to launch the fundraiser in early November,
> and it will run until late January. The "Ask" of the fundraiser will
> be a campaign goal of $6M, which matches the budgeted expenses for the
> current fiscal year. It does not include the budgeted contingency,
> which we hope to meet through other revenue streams (e.g. business
> development). We will count gifts received or committed in this fiscal
> year prior to the launch of the fundraiser as "leadership gifts". That
> means that the fundraising thermometer will literally be filled up (at
> current count by about $2M), and we hope to raise the remaining
> difference.
>
> We will also count any major gifts received during the fundraising
> period against the thermometer. So, for campaign purposes, we will not
> distinguish between small gifts and major gifts. We may special case
> any significantly restricted grants received during the time period,
> depending on the nature of the grant.
>
> Some of the other important changes this year:
>
> * The fundraiser is supported by our brand-spanking new open source
> donation database, CiviCRM. We are also setting up the CiviMail
> component to auto-confirm donations with an e-mail "Thank you" and to
> email past and future donors.

While the new system comes online,  I'd suggest maintaining the current
system as well, e.g. the "Public list of donors" link (
http://donate.wikimedia.org/en/fundcore_browse) is currently broken, yet
displayed on the current donation pages. It would be bad if the public
donors names would not end up in any public database while the background
work is going on switching.

- Bence Damokos (who just donated, and can't find himself on the public list
:)