[Foundation-l] Designs and other fundraiser updates

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 07:52:11 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 05:08, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Those of you checking Meta may have noticed that there are a few
> designs uploaded for feedback from translators:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/design_drafts
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/benefactors
>
> With the exception of the usual copyrights and trademarks on Wikimedia
> logos & marks, these designs are CC-BY-SA. They are still prototypes
> that we are hoping to implement using the existing skin/translation
> system on wikimediafoundation.org.
>
> Translation has also begun on the key messages of the campaign --
> thanks to everyone who is helping. Rand Montoya is managing the
> fundraiser this year, and will post more detailed updates as things
> progress. Please do feel free to add first feedback to the above
> pages.

Thanks for putting these up.

I have three remarks/questions:

1) The slogan "Wikipedia is a non-profit" sounds weird to me.
Technically, Wikipedia is not "'a" non-profit (which in my English as
a second language view of the world, means organisations) . However,
Wikipedia is non-profi, ie. the project is not meant for profit.

Maybe that doesn't work in English, I don't know. I suppose that the
site notice is going to be translated, so maybe make sure that the
translation makes sense rather than reflects the English text. Also,
in many languages (well, at least in French) non-profit is a huge set
of words. We might want to "localize" the slogans rather than just
"translate them".

2) While I understand the necessity and the advantages of pushing
Wikipedia over the other projects in terms of "return on investment",
I really think it would make sense to find a slightly different
wording/message for the notices on other projects. It doesn't mean
that we shouldn't use Wikipedia's name, but if the Foundation is ever
hoping to push other Wikimedia projects forward, it should probably
start to include them more prominently in its own communications to
start with.

3) Has it been at all thought about to "translate" the currency in the
progress bar?
I am thinking that "dollars" sounds a bit too American maybe and that
in these times of financial crisis, it might make sense for some
countries/languages to have a local currency progress bar.

Otherwise, I find the mock-ups clear, slick and to the point.

Cheers,

Delphine
--
~notafish