[Foundation-l] languages with INVENTED codes

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:59:04 UTC 2008

Hoi,
First of all, the codes that we all agree on that they are wrong need to be
fixed. Then all the invented codes that are not known to either the RFC 4646
or better the ISO-630-3 need to be registered as such. When the people
supporting these invented codes are not able to argue their case that their
"language" is indeed a linguistic entity, I do not think we should support
them. Mind you, even constructed languages are supported here, so it is just
a matter of demonstrating that it is sufficiently unique.

When we publish our data, we indicate in the meta data what linguistic
entity this is. Given that the codes have to be standardised to be
recognised, invented codes are wrong to have. When the code is something
like fiu-x-vro, the x indicates that it is private designation and can be
safely ignored.
Thanks,
      GerardM