[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 21:25:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

You said before:

other things are considered as well prior
to giving the eligible status.

As indicated earlier, all members of the language
committee were explicitly asked to consider the issue that you raise.

And

The reason why the *internal *deliberations of the language committee are
> not open is because one of the members is not free to have the deliberations
> published.

Those imply an argument that goes beyond a simple question. And that is what
I was referring to (and I guess that's what others are referring to as
well).

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Again, when the proposal for Egyptian Arabic was posted, I asked the
> members
> of the language committee if we should allow for these languages to have a
> Wikipedia. The reply was that we should. Nobody opposed this. Consequently
> after a week, the status of eligible was given.
>
> This is all the argument as it happened. Again, this has been said
> before...
>
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Muhammad Alsebaey <shipmaster at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Of course the process is political.  There's nothing wrong with that.
> > > Every time two or more people differ on some issue, deciding that issue
> > > requires political interaction, whether it's choosing between the
> > > opinions offered or synthesizing a new compromise position.  Politics
> is
> > > not just partisan activity connected with established ideologies,
> though
> > > politicians umbilically associated with such ideologies are the ones
> who
> > > give politics a bad name.
> > >
> > > Using "too political" as an excuse for not participating in the debates
> > > of the day is itself a political act.
> > >
> > > Ec
> >

> >  Hmm I think I meant it in the latter regard: Politics as a partisan
> > activity connected with established ideologies, since the choice bolsters
> > one of the sides in an ongoing -'partisan' if you may, the term is used
> > loosely since there is no efficient official parties on the Egyptian
> scene
> > except the ruling one- debate in Egypt.
> >
> > However, I have to say that Gerard already made it clear that politics is
> > not part of the equation in LangCom decision, so they dont take it as a
> > factor, of course, we will not know what actually was a factor since the
> > arguments are not published.
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> > Muhammad Alsebaey