[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 07:01:41 UTC 2008

It is not a political stand that the first body of written non-fiction work
published in Egyptian Arabic will be on Wikipedia? I said before that there
is an ongoing debate in Egypt about the adoption of Egyptian Arabic as
written in addition to being spoken in order to bolster the national
identity of Egypt. This debate is currently dead in the water AFAIK, with a
lot of argument going for and against. Wikipedia hosting the first
non-fiction written work *is* a political stand in this debate IMHO.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:

> Muhammad Alsebaey wrote:
> > Hi Ting,
> >
> > In the days since I have first sent my email, I talked to several people,
> > and due to their arguments, I am less worried now about division of
> effort,
> > however, I still strongly believe that my arguments about the language
> being
> > mostly a spoken one with no stable orthography and that by WMF approving
> any
> > of those dialects/language, it will be essentially making a political
> stand,
> > still hold.
> >
> No, I don't think that we make any political stand. For me politics is
> neither an argument for nor against anything. If you are saying that the
> LangCom is political insensitive, for me it is not a failure. For me it
> is a merit.
>
> Ting

Best Regards,
Muhammad Alsebaey