[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 08:38:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

> The process is explicit in that it is until the moment of declaring a
> request eligible that discussion is appreciated about a language. The
> reason
> is that it is not fair to the community supporting and working on such a
> proposal to deny them their request at a later stage.

Hmm, I have not suggested that the WMF actually close any approved project,
I am actually, as I said before if you have missed, stating my opinion about
the process, which could be used for approving Saudi, Libyan, Yemeni
languages/dialects in the future (and has already been used to approve
Moroccan). Why do you keep going back to 'closure is not an option' when I
have not requested one?

>   Rather, claims to
> deny such a request on political and religious arguments are frowned upon.

Have I made such a claim concerning religion? I merely mentioned it as one
of the factors standard Arabic lives on, replying to Milos about adoption of
the spoken language as written. You are again putting words in my mouth.

> When the standard Arabic language is so vibrant, when you are so certain
> that a Wikipedia in other Arabic languages will prove to be a failure, I
> would not be concerned about these request for new projects. If you are
> afraid that these Wikipedias will detract from the standard Arabic language
> and WMF projects that you champion, you have reason to continue agitating
> against requests for one of the other Arabic language projects.

Again, I haven't mentioned that these projects will be a 'failure' and
'Standard Arabic will rule all' as you picture it, I will not repeat my
argument, please refer to it in previous discussion.

> In the mean time, every community that represents a language has the
> freedom
> to request a project. People have to jump through all kind of hoops to get
> to the stage where this request is granted. Freedom is one of the guiding
> principles of the Wikimedia Foundation.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

That is the second time you mention freedom and that is the second time I
reply, I am contesting the process, not people's freedom to do as they
choose, how does that coincide? unless of course you consider questioning
the language committee process as an infringment upon freedom.

Finally let me be blunt here, I feel you are replying to someone else's
arguments. I understand that you have had a lot of discussions with people
who may have had religious/political goals to forward, and may have not been
the best people to talk with in terms of POV and respecting other people
rights, but in replying to me with what you said to them when I have a
totally different concern would be stereotyping IMHO, if that is the case,
please don't do that, if it is not and I misunderstood, then I apologise for
the above statement.

> [...]
> > > don't know how good it is). And it is worth of effort. In the case of
> > > "Arabance" languages and Arabic such efforts may be very well funded.
> > >
> > > If it is not possible, note that Arabic language has the base in more
> > > than 1 billion of people (including all other Muslim countries); as
> > > well as Masri has the base in 76+ millions of people. Masri has better
> > > position than, let's say, Italian. So, the right way for thinking
> > > about this issue is to concentrate on efforts for spreading education
> > > and Internet in Egypt and other Arab countries.

> is
> > > lot
> again
> > as
> > > an
> > the
> > > more
> > bolster
> going
> this
> > such
> > > an
> > made
> > > by
> > > language?
> > >
> > > :) As I explained before, every language (in the common sense of the
> > > meaning of the word "language") is a matter of politics, not
> > > linguistics. Even when you don't realize that as an obvious fact.
> > > Arabic is a matter of politics, English is a matter of politics,
> > > German is a matter of politics, French is a matter of politics,
> > > Russian, Italian, Serbian, Croatian, Japanese, Yoruba, Zulu, Mayan...
> > >
> > > Linguists are a small minority of inhabitants of some country. They
> > > are not politically relevant to demand new language for new nation.
> > > Also, they are not politically relevant to demand preservation of old
> > > language. If one linguist says one of those things, he is not lead by
> > > linguistics, but by political motives (no matter how positive or
> > > negative those motives may be).  While language standardization is a
> > > matter of sociolinguistics, again, it is more about description than
> > > about active involvement in political processes.

> > decision
> > > is
> > regarding
> > > the
> > haven't
> > >
> > > On our eyes Arabic language is developing into "Arabence" languages,
> > > like Latin did it between the first centuries of the first millennium
> > > and 19th century; and Slavic during the first centuries of the second
> > > millennium. The conditions are now very different. There are Internet,
> > > railroads, highways... You have a lot of possibilities to keep good
> > > things from the fact that the most of educated people from Muslim
> > > world know standard Arabic fluently and you should build your new
> > > local languages to make education more achievable to more people.
> > >
> > > And, to say again, your email is a great one. You described very well
> > > the situation in which your society is now because of the birth of new

Best Regards,
Muhammad Alsebaey