[Foundation-l] Agenda for October board meeting

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 16:36:12 UTC 2008

Ting Chen wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> I think your concern will not improve. After I sent my "10 wishes for
>> 2008", where I tried to outline what was important to me, what I
>> intended to truely put my own energy on, I was told that individual
>> board members should not express such public personal opinions. That
>> such documents should only be the result of a carefully brainstormed
>> time between all board board members and management. That board members
>> should thrive to always appear in agreement, and in particular always
>> supportive of any acts of the management. In short, learn to disagree in
>>   silence or quit.
>>

> Hello Florence,
>
> since this was before my time. I don't know why you are criticized. I
> personnally agree with you in most of your 10 points except the
> Wikiconcil part, as we see in Alexandria and thereafter here, the
> discussion is very tedious and a little aimless.
>
> For my part I would criticize one point on your 10 wishes. Though you
> made it clear that it is your personnal wishes, you publiched it on the
> foundation site, and not on your personal user page or as a subpage of
> your user page. Because not everyone can and should publish their
> personal wishes on the foundation site, it makes it somehow official. It
> looks like "The State of the Nation of the President". As such it can be
> understood as an official stance of the foundation and the board. And
> since it is not, that is bad.

True. Well, primarily, it was an email sent to this list. And signed Ant.

If you look at my past emails, you will notice that when I signed ant,
or Anthere or Florence, it was *me*. When I signed my full name and
added "chair of the board", that was chair of the board. I also remember
the topic was discussed.

This said, now, the habit is to post messages on the blog rather than on
the website itself. As far as I can say, no board member has ever posted
there. It'll be interesting to see whether a message from a board member
will be considered "board" or "person".

> I think it is not the problem that every board member take part in
> discussions inside the community, but as that they are one member of the
> community, just every other member of the community. As such they should
> have their own oppinions. I don't think that the board would blame me
> take part on discussions on this mailing list while I don't discuss
> every of my opinion with the board. (If it is so, I will inform you. I
> promise it.) But if you do that, you should always make clear, you are
> speaking for yourself, not for the board and the foundation. I do think
> if you are speaking for the foundation or the board, it should be
> discussed with the other members. Then it is official, and in that case
> I think the board member should take the official opinion.

Agreed. And the official opinion usually comes from the staff, which
prepare the messaging. I know. Follow the party line :-)

Well, good luck and I'll be happy to read your opinions anytime you feel
like providing them. In case you did not notice, I love debating ;-)

Do you feel like pushing your name to be the board representative on the
chapcom ? Feel like mentionning the topic this week end ? Have a safe trip.

ant