[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:40:45 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Given that UNICEF has done proper usability studies. Given that they have
measured the success of the changes they made. We can be aware of the
lessons that were learned in this way. We can adopt the changes and learn
how it affects *our *smaller projects. When we cooperate with UNICEF, when
we apply the lessons learned we can expect to do better.

When 80% are considered to be a failure, when we identify a major reason
why, when we apply the lessons learned and these projects still fail, it is
not because of something that we could have done. I am raising awareness of
the issues we know we have with usability. I am involved in getting these
extensions tested so that people can safely adopt them. I urge the WMF to
allow projects to have the benefit of improved usability.

When projects choose to improve usability, we will get metrics on how this
makes a difference. We may learn what approaches work in which cultures and
not in others. It would be so cool if we could discuss these things because
we have this experience.
Thanks,
       GerardM