[Foundation-l] Site Notices Phase 2 - Annual Fundraiser 2008

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Nov 28 14:50:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Since
> the WMF is described as a charitable organisation on the official
> webpage, I assume it is correct to call it such, so "charity" is a
> more precise term than "non-profit".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/a/aa/501(c)(3)_Letter.png

"We determined that you are a public charity under the Code section(s)
listed in the heading of this letter [i.e. 170(b)(1)(A)(vi)]."

I still have no opinion on what to call it.  And I'll admit that despite the
fact that I said "charity" was a less precise term above (which I said
because it doesn't seem to have a legal definition), I can also see an
argument that it's a more precise term (I guess it's more precise, but less
well defined, although "non-profit" actually isn't legally defined under
Florida law either AFAIK, the actual law uses the phrase "corporation not
for profit").