[Foundation-l] Site Notices Phase 2 - Annual Fundraiser 2008

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 10:56:34 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The problem with precise definitions is that they are not necessarily known
and understood in this way by our audience. When you want people to give,
you want to appeal to people and get their money, you have to target and
emphasise the emotional side of the message. When you assume that people are
likely to understand things in a certain way based on formal definitions,
you forget that a large part of our readers do not have English as their
mother tongue and consequently their understanding is a lot less precise.
Even people for whom English is their mother tongue do not necessarily think
in formal definitions and they are also best approached with a more
emotional tinged message.

This requires a marketing approach.
Thanks,
        GerardM