[Foundation-l] Site Notices Phase 2 - Annual Fundraiser 2008

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:16:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quotes should be in the "local" language, indeed. Germans would find it
> strange to see suddenly quotes in a foreign language and believe that a
> technical fault has happend.
>
> What about portret photos next to a quote? A general message like "Join us
> supporting" followed by a person. We show surprisingly few face(s), there
> are no eyes that look to the would-be-donator.
>
> Such as:
> * "Help Brion Vibber keep Wikipedia running" (followed by his pic, and later
> with an explanation what he is doing)
> * "Make Dr. Winiger's edits accessible to everyone" (followed by a pic of
> this Zedler winner of 2007 ...)
> * "Alice Weigand wants a fast and working Wikipedia when teaching seniors to
> edit"
> * "Let Erdal not build up Kurdish Wikipedia alone"

Also, don't overlook the power of social proof
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_proof]:  People feel much more
comfortable contributing when they see that other respectable people
and organizations have contributed.  Unfortunately many of the most
powerful examples we could use are rejected by the communities as
"advertising", but there are still opportunities here.