[Foundation-l] Trademarks

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:35:08 UTC 2008

Anthony, Mike - I'm sure you haven't forgotten that this is Foundation-l,
not Trademark 01 (or Intro to rhetoric, for that matter), but maybe we can
draw the discussion back to matters Wikimedia?

Did we ever get a definitive answer on where the Wikimedia marks were
trademarked, or where the marks are protected without registration?

Has someone with some expertise weighed in on what steps the Foundation
might take, wrt trademarks, in the case of illegitimate use by a chapter,
former chapter or unapproved chapter-like group? Would this type of
situation fall into the category of significant enough to combat in court if
necessary, given the plausibility of an association in the minds of any
prospective audience? (Mike may not be able to answer this last question, I
suppose).

Nathan