[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 23:35:58 UTC 2008

2008/11/24 Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:
> Luiz Augusto wrote:

> First, is that wrong that a chapter is made in majority or entirety by
> non-editors ? I would tend to think it is unfortunate, but not wrong. A
> person may be part of the wikimedia mouvement without editing a lot. The
> person may be a developer, or help the chapter develop its fundraising
> abilities, or be a political beast and so on.

Well, I just read documents prepared by chapcomm some time ago:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_future_chapters

"As specified in the requirements, involvement of contributors to the
Wikimedia projects is essential to the grounding of a chapter."

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requirements_for_future_chapters

"The chapter must involve contributors to the Wikimedia projects.
(this is written in bold)

While chapters should welcome the input of people who are not active
contributors to the Wikimedia projects, they should not stay too far
from the community. The active involvement of contributors to the
Wikimedia projects is necessary for a chapter to be able to bring
real-life initiatives tied to the Wikimedia projects to life."

and finally:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ#Chapter_creation_questions

"Who can start a new chapter?

To initiate a new chapter you should be an experienced contributor to
a Wikimedia project in a language that is widely spoken in your
country. Of course one person is usually not enough to create a full
fledged organization, so you have to find some more active
contributors from your country who are also interested and willing to
participate in all the work that comes along with the creation of a
legal entity.

It would help a lot if at least one of these persons is already
involved in discussions regarding the Wikimedia Foundation, and at
least one person has some kind of experience in legal issues.

For the creation itself you should be a group of between 10 and 20
people (if you can find more, that's fine, of course), even if your
local laws require a smaller number."

So - is that currently true, or not? If not - what other requirements
and advices produced by chapcomm are currently meaningless ?

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/