[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Mike.lifeguard mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 24 06:59:53 UTC 2008

While this is all very interesting (I am not being sarcastic, this is
what my research is about!) this is almost totally off-topic. Please
take this on-wiki or to private email.

I didn't notice any mention of the proof-of-concept wiki for SignWriting
at http://www.signpuddle.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

It's clearly insufficient for writing encyclopedia articles, but I think
even this early stuff would be suitable for starting a Wiktionary. I
think that would be a much better project to start at this point, for
reasons mentioned previously, but one critical one: We have community
members (such as myself) who could contribute to ase.wiktionary but not
ase.wikipedia. I'm not fluent in ASL to begin with, and I'm unfamiliar
with SignWriting. As mentioned, many Deaf people might be in a similar
position, since there has historically been essentially no written form
of ASL.

I've also started a project at Wikiversity to serve that group of
people:
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Learn_SignWriting_for_American_Sign_Language.
I'll hopefully be adding to it as I learn more about SignWriting myself
- other interested parties are of course encouraged to help me!

-Mike

2008/11/23 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> Good idea Mark... " "a croaking dalek with laryngitis"
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant#Efficacy

----