[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Mon Nov 24 08:10:38 UTC 2008

Luiz Augusto wrote:
> The same group of no-wikimedians managed to organize an event with the
> participation of Jimmy Wales[6]. I imagine that Jimmy think that the event
> is realize by wikimedians, therefore, before proceeding, let me make it
> clear: people who organized that event never participated in any Wikimedia
> project before. Mediators of the debate either.

I would like to say quite quickly that I was not misled in any way.  And
based on my personal experiences in Brazil talking to people, I think
that this problem can be resolved without any difficulty.

I think it is a mistake to have a chapter without a strong participation
and support of the editing community, but I also think it is a mistake
to assume that the main people organizing it have to be from the editing
community, nor to assume that one needs a certain "edit count" in order
to be able to do a great job.

What I strongly encourage is a series of local meetups - soon!  Like,
this Friday, why don't people get together in person in Sao Paulo and
perhaps Rio or wherever the most people can be gotten together, to meet
each other and talk about this.

Thomas, who made most of the arrangements for my visit, spoke a great
deal about community involvement, he was quite clear with me that he is
not a very active Wikipedian, but at the same time, he was friendly,
open, professional, and eager to expand our activities in Brazil.  It
seems really unnecessary to me that there should be any conflict.

In case anyone is wondering, when I asked Thomas about who should be
head of the Wikimedia chapter in Brazil, he was quite clear that he
doesn't think it should be him.  Anyone who imagines this to be some
kind of power play does not know Thomas - I encourage you to meet him.