[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 05:57:45 UTC 2008

Okay Gerard, just because one British MP said it sounded like a
croaking dalek with laryngitis means that it's not a major issue in
the deaf community. I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

I am not saying that all deaf people should get cochlear implants.
What I am saying, is that deaf and HoH _children_ are now often given
cochlear implants at a very, very young age by their hearing parents,
at least in the USA.

If you have been deaf for 20 years and you get a cochlear implant,
that will be a very different experience than if you grew up with one.
A deaf person can't usually acquire a spoken language as their native
language in the same way that a hearing person can; however a cochlear
implant at a very young age allows this to happen.

Mark