[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Alex mrzmanwiki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:42:15 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The proposal is for ASL to be written in SignWriting. This has the added
> benefit that whatever is actually written can also be edited in our wiki
> style. The problem with video  is that you cannot change it and consequently
> it is not really Wiki.
>
> Steve Slevinsky is working on an extension that will allow for the writing
> of any sign languages using SignWriting. I understand that he is even
> cosidering another skin.. This will allow for much of the user interface to
> be localised.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM

That's great, but how do we integrate it into other projects? Are we
going to use the extension on every single project just for the purpose
of interwiki links (it might have a little more use on commons and
meta), or will there just not be interwiki links from projects to a
SignWriting wiki?

An extension to have a wiki that uses SignWriting instead of a normal
script is one thing, getting it to work well with projects that are in a
normal script - interwiki links, CentralAuth, etc. - seems like it would
be a lot more difficult.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)