[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 23:22:01 UTC 2008

2008/11/22 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

> 2008/11/22 Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com>:
>
> > Just thinking aloud: Until separate projects are implemented for the sign
> > languages, maybe projects on existing Wikipedias similar to the Spoken
> > Wikiproject create videos of the different articles on Wikipedia or the
> > different words on Wiktionary. As I understand the upload limit of videos
> > has been raised recently, so even the bit longer articles could be
> signed.
>

> The problem is that sign languages are entirely different languages
> from the matching local spoken language - they're not just a signed
> version of the spoken language.
>

> - d.

I was gonna say the same thing, but David beat me to it. For an example, we
have in the English-speaking world American Sign Language, Australian Sign
Language, British Sign Language, New Zealand Sign Language and others – the
latter three are related, but they are not related to American Sign
Language, which is mostly related to French Sign Language. American Sign
Language is not only used in the United States, but also in Guatemala and
lots of other countries. Another example is that a version of Norwegian Sign
Language is actually used on Madagascar (due to Norwegian missionaries
setting up the first schools for deaf people there). So setting up a
wikiproject on enwiki is not sufficient – though of course, it wouldn't hurt
either. ;-)

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by