[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 19:49:23 UTC 2008

2008/11/22 Crazy Lover <always_yours.forever at yahoo.com>

> I realise that proposal for a Wikipedia in American Sign Language has
> remained without a decision since 2007 february 15th, more than a year and
> half.
>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_American_Sign_Language_2
> Current policy don't say anything about those:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy
> But, community draft expressly accept them:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy/Community_draft
> What about you, do you think wikimedia, should be deprived of these
> potential resources?
> C.m.l.

I don't really see a need to expressly allow them – sign languages are just
as diverse and viable as spoken languages, and should not need any special
designation; but of course, it doesn't hurt either.

The short version of the ASL decision is that we need the technical means to
actually make it happen, but once that's in place we're all for it. :-)

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by