[Foundation-l] mo.wikipedia.org

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:41:22 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Removing the mo.wikipedia.org is something I would at this stage in the game
prefer.

There are languages with multiple scripts. There are even languages that
support multiple scripts in the User Interface. Accepting texts in mulitple
scripts is a great way of bringing a language community together. It is not
easy and MediaWIki does not support properly but it is done.

The issue with MediaWiki support is that when Cyrillic and Arabic script
texts are mixed in the text, the script should be properly supported in the
text box part of the article. When two scripts are mixed, it is possible to
indicate what script / orthography / dialect the text is in. Standard
MediaWiki does not support this. I understand that there is an extension
that DOES allow for this. It would be good for the projects involved to have
such support.
Thanks,
        Gerard