[Foundation-l] wikipedia.de shut down

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 18:23:23 UTC 2008

In order not to let a wrong impression slip into the collective long-term
memory:

Heilmann complained about several points in "his" article, some more, some
less worth considerable. It was also about his private life. So, reducing it
to his Stasi past or saying that he is using "Stasi methods" - as it has
been done numerously - would be too shortsighted. (Stasi methods would
include socket poppetry, checkusing, and brutal killing making it look like
an accident.)

In a way, the Heilmann case is somewhere between "Mainland China" and
"Seigenthaler". Certainly Heilmann showed an incredible naivity about the
Wikimedia universe and the consequences of his legal actions. For a couple
of days the media heavily critizised on him, and they were right to do so.
But later that issue was out, and a new view came up: several quality (also:
non left) newspapers stressed out that the Heilmann case dealt with some
serious problems of the Wikipedia principle of openess.

We Wikipedians should not think too lighthearty about the case, although we
certainly enjoyed the huge public support.

Ziko

2008/11/16 Ian A. Holton <poeloq at gmail.com>

> The controversy was about mentioning his past in the former East German
> Stasi - something he had not told the truth about to the general public
> during the election (according to the Wikipedia article and the sources
> named, which amongst others is Der Spiegel). The information, and sources,
> seem all very reliable and pass all criteria for inclusion on Wikipedia.
>
> Techcrunch[1] also mentions claims of threats against ex-boyfriends - I
> couldn't find any when I checked this morning, so they might have been
> removed in accordance with policy.
>
> This isn't the first time the German chapter has had an interim injunction
> issued against them[2], but everytime the matter has been resolved in a
> professional manner and the media have been very pro-Wiki.[3][4]
>
> Ian
> [[User:Poeloq]]
>
> [1]
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/16/german-politician-blocks-local-wikipedia/
> [2] http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t28622.html
> [3] http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number4.2/wikipedia
> [4] http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/02/09/1323220.shtml
>

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM, effe iets anders
> <effeietsanders at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > for the interested: *Keine weiteren juristischen Schritte gegen
> Wikipedia*
> > : http://www.lutz-heilmann.info/
> >
> > 2008/11/16 Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>

> after
> > >
> > > Apparently, some German communist politician was angry about something
> > > in "his" article, so he got a court order to prevent forwarding from
> > > wikipedia.de to de.wikipedia.org.
> > >
> > > On his web page, above politician now says he won't proceed further
> > > against the German chapter (who owns wikipedia.de), which might mean
> > > the forwarding can be reestablished soon.
> > >
> > > Magnus

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde