[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] FlaggedRevs status/news?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 21:40:26 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The Hebrew language community has a really outstanding record when it comes
to localisation; both the MediaWiki messages and the messages used in
extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation are completely localised at this
moment. This requires dedication that brings a big benefit to its community.

I do appreciate your sentiment about localising on life data. It makes
sense. The problem that you highlight is that it is not obvious what many of
the messages stand for. To alleviate this problem, Betawiki includes
messages explaining what these messages stand for. They are the "qqq"
messages. This is the kind of information that needs to be entered once and
benefits all the people who localise the same message in another language.

Typically it is the developer who knows best what a message is intended for.
In practice it is often people who work on the localisation who add these
pointers. Making sure that the "qqq" messages are correct and informative is
one way in which developers can make sure that their extension. their
functionality is well received. In the process they improve our localisation
environement and stimulate a higher quality exerience.

When I ask for localisation like I do for FlaggedRevs, I make the argument
personally without linking it to the policies of the language committee.
When the people who are to use new functionality all speak English, there is
no issue. However this is not the case for many of the languages that we
support.

The best way to localise is by getting it done and then regularly
maintaining the localisation. In this way both readers and editors are
supported optimally and, when a request for a new project is done,
localisation is not a factor.
Thanks,
      GerardM