[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] FlaggedRevs status/news?

Dovi Jacobs dovijacobs at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 21:12:56 UTC 2008

Gerard wrote: "Given that it is important for the editors to understand what is intended with Flagged Revisions. I would argue that localisation prior to implementation is essential."

I would like to remind Gerard that the requests for FlaggedRevs are based on the
consensus of live wiki communities that are flourishing, building education materials in
their local languages, who value localization of the software and contribute to it, and yet
do NOT necessarily agree with Gerard on localization as a prerequisite to functionality.

On the contrary, many of us believe that unlocalized messages, when viewed live and actually used for real material (not on a test wiki) are far easier to localize little by little
(wiki style) over a period of time. The Hebrew Wikisource indeed began this way: Many
basic messages were not localized initially, and the initial contributers along with building
content on the wiki also localized the messages over time. Had substantial localization
been required in advance the wiki would probably have never been created and the
localization would thus never have been done...

Gerard, you and the Language Committee have been given authority to require substantial
localization before setting up a new language wiki. For better or worse. But you have NO
authorization to prevent active communities from getting extensions implemented
that they have requested.

We at the Hebrew Wikisource intend to finish translating the interface over time, at
Betawiki, as we encounter the system messages in real contexts. We have already been
waiting for implementation for quite a long time. We ask the developers to honor our
community request and consensus. Gerard is entitled to his opinions, but not
to force his notions on active Wikimedia communities.

Dovi
> Hoi,
> I think it makes sense to have functionality like FlaggedRevs be localised
> prior to it being enabled. Given that it is important for the editors to
> understand what is intended with Flagged Revisions. I would argue that
> localisation prior to implementation is essential. I do appreciate
> discussion this.

People often do not complain when they think it is normal that new
functonality comes without localisation. It does not have to be this way;
you can have new functionality localised by keeping your localisation up to
date at Betawiki.
Thanks,
      GeradM