[Foundation-l] Thai government blocks English wikipedia page about the king

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:29:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Dominic <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:

> It seems that several media agencies, like BBC, reported the recent
> surge in censorship, but none of them mention Wikipedia explicitly,
> while it is likely that it was one of the sites targeted in the October
> crackdown.

Guardian Weekly, print edition November 7th, page 2:
"Firewall for a king:
Thailand is to build a national internet firewall to block websites
deemed insulting to the monarchy. The move appears to be the result of
pressure on the government from the military to stamp out criticism of
King Bhumibol Adulyadej".

Right, this does not mention Wikipedia explicitly, but I think we can
take it nearly for granted that the access problems described by
Waerth are related to this.  I think we can't expect a press notice
listing all the blocked sites ;-)

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler