[Foundation-l] Thai government blocks English wikipedia page about the king

Dominic dmcdevit at cox.net
Mon Nov 10 22:59:31 UTC 2008

Ian A. Holton wrote:
> Can anybody confirm this?
>
> Ian
>
> On 11/10/08, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:
>
>> It seems that the Thai government has decided to block wikipedia's page
>> in English about the King .... . If going there by interwiki link from
>> the Dutch wikipedia I end up here: http://w3.mict.go.th/

I did some research to see if anyone else is reporting this, and it
seems that others are experiencing the same problem, but it has not yet
made the news (in reference to Wikipedia's block explicitly).The Freedom
Against Censorship Thailand blog reports that it has been blocked since
at least October 1, and though I can't read the Thai sites they cite, it
seems pretty well independently verified.
<http://facthai.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/wikipedia-blocked-by-some-thai-isps-fact-exclusive/>

Thailand enforces a lese majeste law, which means people may be
prosecuted for "insulting" the king
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9#Thailand). As a
result, Thailand has a rather active internet censorship program that
has become more active during the recent political crisis
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7696101.stm>. (Incidentally,
the author of that article, BBC's Thailand correspondent, was himself
under investigation earlier this year, accused of insulting the king:
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/08/asia/AS-GEN-Thailand-BBC.php>.)

It seems that several media agencies, like BBC, reported the recent
surge in censorship, but none of them mention Wikipedia explicitly,
while it is likely that it was one of the sites targeted in the October
crackdown. Incidentally, last year's brief blocking of YouTube by
Thailand
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Thailand#YouTube_controversy) led
to much greater international media scrutiny, and it seems likely that
if it continues, Wikipedia's block may yet be newsworthy, especially
since unlike the inflammatory YouTube videos, the Wikipedia article
seems relatively neutral.

Dominic