[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 21:53:33 UTC 2008

2008/11/7 David Moran <fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com>:

> As far as my own reactions go, I'm not terribly bothered.  Yes, the banner
> is visually irritating (I don't think it minimizes enough when you hide it),
> but that's kinda the point.  Annual pledge drives on public television
> channels are irritating too, but that's the price of having PUBLIC
> TELEVISION.  Wikipedia is not Google, and I think the banners are a helpful
> reminder to people of that.

Well, yeah. We're the #8 (Alexa) or #4 (ComScore) site that *doesn't
have ads*. One banner? Any other site would have FLASHING CRAP and
POPUPS and HANDY LINES OF TEXT with "Get Marcus Aurelius on eBay!" and
OTHER SUCH ANNOYING RUBBISH. We have a banner for a while once a year.

And I like the theme: "C'mon, you use the heck out of us. You can
spare some pennies."

(I'm not contributing money - I pay in chunks of my soul, like most of
us here. But I feel I get good value for them!)

- d.