[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

David Moran fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:55:07 UTC 2008

As far as my own reactions go, I'm not terribly bothered.  Yes, the banner
is visually irritating (I don't think it minimizes enough when you hide it),
but that's kinda the point.  Annual pledge drives on public television
channels are irritating too, but that's the price of having PUBLIC
TELEVISION.  Wikipedia is not Google, and I think the banners are a helpful
reminder to people of that.

Also, on a personal level, I wouldn't mind a personal option to turn them
off, but I think turning them off project-wide is insane.  Wikipedia lives
on donations, therefore we must solicit donations.  Suggesting that
Wikipedia could or should survive on the donations of people who think of it
first, without prompting, is unrealistic in the extreme.  Wikipedia is a
charity; this is how charities behave.

Personally, I like having it there.  I mean to donate before the year's out,
but I'm broke now.  If that banner wasn't there I'd forget about it sooner
or later and then never donate.

David Moran
aka FMF