[Foundation-l] Regarding the Fundraising Banner

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 23:14:35 UTC 2008

Sebastian Moleski wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> But other languages, such as german, also propose 30/75/100, but not in
>> dollars... in euros. Unfortunately, a 30 dollars today is below 20 euros
>> today. So, a minimal gift of 30 euros is more about 40-45 dollars.
>> I do not think it is a good idea to suggest different values according
>> to languages. Somehow, it strikes me as "unequal". I think we should
>> stick to dollars in any cases. Imho.
>
> It's true that the market exchange rate makes 30 euros converted to US
> dollars more than 30 dollars. On the other hand, the purchasing power
> of 30 euros in Europe is more or less equal to 30 dollars in the US.
> So, it's actually perfectly fine to ask Europeans to donate 30 euros.
> Looking at how actual donations turn out, it seems that the 30 is
> actually used by a lot. It is indeed bold, but boldness is what
> fortune favors, right?
>
> Sebastian

Yeah, yeah right, IF you are asking to europeans.

And that's the whole point. When you ask in German, you probably have
95% of chance of finding a european.
But if you ask in French, not. Not all French speaking people are
europeans. And for many of them, non europeans, 30 euros is a hell of an
amount to give.

For example, the monthly salary of a university professor in Algeria is
400 euros. In comparison, a university professor is richer in Algeria
than a university professor in France. But the Algerian professor would
never give 30 euros.

We know that there are inequalities in the World. But I really see not
why on average we would ask 30 dollars to an english speaking one,
whilst on average we would ask 45 equivalent dollars to a french
speaking one.

Ant