[Foundation-l] Regarding the Fundraising Banner

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:30:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Talking about the banner and currencies, I am not quite sure why some
> languages are in dollars and others are in euros. It might make sense in
> Deutsch (mostly Deutsch people will donate and of course, they will
> donate in euros preferably), but not really in French (canadian, french,
> swiss, algerian etc... all use different currencies). I expect the
> Foundation receive quite a lot from canadians... who will find odd to
> find an american organization propose a donation in euros.
>
> But beyond this, I noted an oddity.
> The banner is currently suggesting donating 30 dollars, 75 dollars or
> 100 dollars per default. Thank god, people can choose to give other
> values and in particular less. Given that the average donation in the
> past was 30 dollars, suggesting 30 dollars as minimal value is... bold.
>
> But other languages, such as german, also propose 30/75/100, but not in
> dollars... in euros. Unfortunately, a 30 dollars today is below 20 euros
> today. So, a minimal gift of 30 euros is more about 40-45 dollars.
> I do not think it is a good idea to suggest different values according
> to languages. Somehow, it strikes me as "unequal". I think we should
> stick to dollars in any cases. Imho.
>
> (I am not going to scream about this, I just find it is not a good idea).
>
> Ant

It is perhaps noteworthy that last year the donation text box was
prefilled with $50, and that was accompanied by a very discernible
spike in the number of donors giving $50.

On the other hand, roughly 60% of donations and 20% of income from
past drives arrived in amounts of $20 or less.

-Robert Rohde