[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:00:43 UTC 2008

2008/11/4 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:

> Seriously - why do we have to yoke ourselves to yet another external
> organization? Clearly the binding association with the FSF has presented a
> number of problems and limitations - wouldn't it be preferable to have
> control of the terms, and write in compatibility with the licenses we'd like
> to accomodate?

CC by-sa is for free content like the GPL is for software. You can
have copyleft licenses that aren't compatible, but it's the one
*everyone else* uses. By using a free software licence that's
incompatible with the GPL, you're cutting yourself off from mixing
with an entire world of software, defining your own tiny irrelevant
bubble; by using a free content licence that's incompatible with CC
by-sa, you're cutting yourself off from mixing with an entire world of
content, defining your own tiny irrelevant bubble.

- d.