[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:51:23 UTC 2008

>> * All new revisions are released with this license statement:
>>
>>  This page is released under CC-BY-SA.
>>  Depending on its editing history, it MAY also be available under
>>  the GFDL; see [link] for how to determine that.
>> [end quote from Richard]
>

> This allows us to not duel license anything added to wikipedia after
> the switchover so if the switchover is november 30 you can determine
> if the article is duel licensed by seeing it has been edited post Nov
> 30 2008. That would appear to simplify matters.

So you're suggesting we dual license everything written before the
switchover and then license everything after that under just CC-BY-SA?
That would be nice, but I think it contradicts the agreement with
Richard:

"* ALL contributors agree to the following:

 Wikipedia can release their newly written text
 under both GFDL and CC-BY-SA in parallel.
 However, if they imported any external material
 that's available under CC-BY-SA and not under GFDL,
 Wikipedia is bound by that."

That specifies "newly written text", which I interpret to mean text
written after the switchover. Although, interestingly it says "can"
not "must", so contributors have to give WMF permission to release it
under GFDL but WMF can choose not to. I'm not sure that's the intended
meaning... (I'm also unsure of the legality of "Wikipedia can
release..." compared to to more usual "By clicking submit *you* are
releasing..." [assuming "Wikipedia" actually means "WMF", obviously
"Wikipedia" can't release anything since it's just a website and not a
legal entity].) If that is the intended meaning (which would be
strange, since it doesn't actually restrict WMF in any meaningful
way), then your idea should work.