[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:04:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/2 Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com>:
>> About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
>> chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
>> invited? I am speaking of WM Norway and WM Hungary, that are either already
>> incorporated or 99% percent likely to finish incorporation process in less
>> than 3 months' time.
>
> There is a similar question regarding the UK chapter. Technically the
> current official UK chapter is a dormant organisation in the process
> of being dissolved (I'm not sure how far along that process they are),
> however there is a new proposed chapter well on its way to approval
> (ChapCom have looked at the documents and the forms have been sent to
> the appropriate authorities). Which board would be involved in the
> discussions? (It should be the new one, obviously, but it's an issue
> that needs to be addressed.)

Well. Legally speaking, WmUK 1.0 is still an official Wikimedia
chapter, with all rights, prerogatives and privileges that come with
it ;-)
But then, without wanting to be rude, it is probably a bit pointless
to presume that they will take active part in discussions as they're
being dissolved now.
Re WmUK 2.0, they would certainly be included as soon as they meet the
"threshold" we set for this list, which, see my last mail, could be
"ChapCom approval", "Board approval" or something entirely different,
though the latter sounds unlikely to me.

> I guess some bylaws require more discussion than others. If everyone
> on the committee accepts the bylaws straight away then it will go very
> quickly, if there is disagreement between committee members then it
> could take a while to resolves (if the whole committee doesn't like
> them, then presumably they would tell the relevant community members
> pretty quickly).

It needn't even be outright disagreement or non-consensus, it can also
be committee member X saying "Hm, I'm not sure whether this sentence
is appropriate in terms of general aims, can someone explain what they
might mean, am I just getting this wrong?", committee member Y saying
"Oh, I didn't have a problem with that one, let me check again" and so
on. Such minor things can take a lot of time..., perhaps more than
appropriate

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler