[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 22:34:43 UTC 2008

2008/11/2 Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com>:
> About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
> chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
> invited? I am speaking of WM Norway and WM Hungary, that are either already
> incorporated or 99% percent likely to finish incorporation process in less
> than 3 months' time.

There is a similar question regarding the UK chapter. Technically the
current official UK chapter is a dormant organisation in the process
of being dissolved (I'm not sure how far along that process they are),
however there is a new proposed chapter well on its way to approval
(ChapCom have looked at the documents and the forms have been sent to
the appropriate authorities). Which board would be involved in the
discussions? (It should be the new one, obviously, but it's an issue
that needs to be addressed.)

> About ChapCom transparency: the ChapCom members have been helpful, but I
> don't find their work transparent. How does one chapter get approved by them
> (or even the Board) before incorporation, or just faster then the chapters
> presenting their bylaws roughly at the same time? Is the slowness in some
> cases deliberate to test the endurance and capabilities of a given community
> or even a contactperson? I don't think the answer is yes, yet without
> transparency and clear criteria, one cannot help to wonder, what is he doing
> wrong, and can have no idea how to correct his mistakes if the Chapcom is
> not approving the chapter, while other chapters "zoom by" at the same time.

I guess some bylaws require more discussion than others. If everyone
on the committee accepts the bylaws straight away then it will go very
quickly, if there is disagreement between committee members then it
could take a while to resolves (if the whole committee doesn't like
them, then presumably they would tell the relevant community members
pretty quickly).