[Foundation-l] Global rollback users

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:09:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
>> Delete/undelete rights are not a bid deal. There are persons at
>> developed projects which take care about deleting and undeleting
>> pages. The rule added for covering this issue may be very simple:
>> using those rights at projects with regularly active administrators
>> will be sanctioned by removing rights immediately. I think that it is
>> fair enough and that every reasonable Wikimedian may agree with such
>> rules.
>>

> How would you determine whether the wp in question has active admins? For
> instance, does tt.wp has active admins? I am not sure I would like to have
> my rights removed for rolling vandal edits back on one of the projects I
> did not see any admin edits for 30 days and then it turns out that I just
> did not notice smth. We are obviously not talking of large projects like
> en.wp or fr.wp., but of smth below 10K pages.

The point of the rule is not to prohibit anti-vandal fighter to fight
against vandals on, let's say lv.wp at early morning in Latvian time
zone (a couple of weeks ago stewards from USA took care about lv.wp
and allowed to a lv.wp admin to go to sleep), but to prohibit actions
at projects like en.wp, de.wp or fr.wp are. In other words: you may
have delete/undelete button at en.wp, but don't use it if you don't
have it granted by en.wp community.

So, the part of the day matters on many projects, too. The rule
shouldn't be negatively strict, but it should be strict against abuse
of the permissions.