[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Bot policy for all wikis

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:31:13 UTC 2008

2008/5/29 Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/28 Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>:
>> I do think it's unacceptable that Interwiki bots go in and change the
>> order of interwikis against the agreed-upon orders at each Wiki.
>>
>> I remember a while back, we agreed on en.wp to order interwiki links
>> by code, and it seems that the bots never cared - ja: always came
>> after nl: rather than after it:. I'm not sure if a different policy
>> has been decided since then, but bots have always been oblivious, it
>> seems.
>
> Maybe you should have *shock* told us? Long time ago en: decided to
> use alphabetically by language name. So the bot programmers
> implemented that. Since then, we haven't been told it has been decided
> differently, so we haven't changed it. We have some nice code, but no
> crystal balls. We use whatever order the local community prefers, but
> we do need to be told what that preference is.

I searched, and the information about interwiki sorting order that I found is:

"The link tags should be sorted alphabetically based on the local
names of the languages, as described at m:Interwiki sorting order. The
vast majority of articles are currently sorted this way." -
[[en:Help:Interlanguage links]].

So if this rule has changed, then please change the information AS
WELL AS notifying the bot programmers.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels