[Foundation-l] "seeall" privilege Was Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in dangeroflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:49:06 UTC 2008

John at Darkstar ha scritto:
> If they can grant themselves the privilege, then it is no use of a new
> user role. If the purpose is to avoid a situation where those users can
> be said to edit in an editorial role, then it could possibly block some
> cases whereby someone claims we don't get cover from section 230 of the CDA.

I'd say the main difference is that there are no logs for reading
deleted revisions, but there are if user rights are changed. Which
means: if Steward A assigns herself sysop rights on project B and
performs no sysop action, people may just wonder why. With a separate
user group, nothing is visible.
> Other than that, I think it is wise to make any interference from
> outside the communities as visual and transparent as possible. That
> includes any interference from WMF into separate language projects on
> Wikipedia. Wetter that means if Jimbo operates as steward on nowp to do
> some work there, or if Eric does it as a admin or if Florence does it as
> a regular user I don't really care. I know they do a good job anyhow.
> What I do care about is if someone has invisible rights and may come and
> go unnoticed.
>
> If Jimbo, Eric or Florence wants to be admin on no.wp on a permanent
> basis I guess we can put them up as candidates on the admin list and
> they will have a lot of users voting for them! :D

Uhm, I guess they couldn't qualify on it.wp (not enough edits probably),
or that many people would vote against them as not sufficiently
active... I guess that would be quite embarrassing anyway

Cruccone