[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 17:28:11 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 5/21/08, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> A controversial policy with no consequences creates more
> heat than
> light.  It is one thing to have Board members sign an
> agreement, but it
> is an exercise in futility when that agreement extends
> three years
> beyond one's term of office without any idea about what
> will happen if a
> person is found in breach.

I agree with that.  I was just trying to focus on the effect the policy would have on the wider community rather than the trustees who might sign it.  So I was ignoring the reasons why it might be a bad idea for individual to sign such an agreement.

However I definitely understand why someone would not want to sign such a thing for their own part. In reality such individual concerns probably just become a starting point for a negotiation.  Offer a proposal of what you would be willing to sign and then receive a counter proposal.  And find the line where WMF agrees that trying to oust a board member or disqualify an election winner will bring more trouble than the differences between the drafts. And that is the arena of lawyers not the peanut gallery.

Birgitte SB