[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger oflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 21 08:34:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Brian McNeil
<brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> I deleted the article.
>
> Cary contacted me via Skype late at night and said Mike wanted to talk to
> me. I forwarded my cellphone number. When I saw the article in question,
> there was no doubt in my mind that it could readily be construed as
> actionable libel. Thus, I deleted it.
>
> The Bauer case is more complex. Her article was removed from Wikipedia - as
> I see it - in a good faith move to encourage the court to throw out her
> action against WMF. Wikinews reported on this, and that article was quashed.
> Everyone will be able to see why when - hopefully - the court throws out her
> allegations against the WMF. In this case the EFF is championing the cause,
> but rules and guidelines are needed; both to retain S.230 protection and to
> maintain Wikinews' impartiality.
>

> Brian McNeil

We'll be able to see why when the court throws out the allegations
against WMF? I fail to see what about the Wikinews article would make
that less likely to happen, and I certainly don't see what about it
would endanger Section 230 protection. Indeed, such things (content
created by a site's users and uploaded to the site using its normal
mechanisms) are -exactly- what Section 230 protects service providers
against liability for. It's a garbage case, so one would hope that the
court would throw it out anyway.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.