[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger oflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue May 20 10:24:28 UTC 2008

I deleted the article.

Cary contacted me via Skype late at night and said Mike wanted to talk to
me. I forwarded my cellphone number. When I saw the article in question,
there was no doubt in my mind that it could readily be construed as
actionable libel. Thus, I deleted it.

The Bauer case is more complex. Her article was removed from Wikipedia - as
I see it - in a good faith move to encourage the court to throw out her
action against WMF. Wikinews reported on this, and that article was quashed.
Everyone will be able to see why when - hopefully - the court throws out her
allegations against the WMF. In this case the EFF is championing the cause,
but rules and guidelines are needed; both to retain S.230 protection and to
maintain Wikinews' impartiality.

Brian McNeil