[Foundation-l] Florence and the election

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:30:54 UTC 2008

Michael Snow wrote:
> First of all, let me join the chorus of thanks for Florence and her hard
> work serving on the board. I look forward to seeing her at Wikimania and
> expressing my appreciation in person. While I regret that she won't be
> standing for reelection, I hope we can take advantage of this and let
> the open election be a positive experience.

Hear, hear!

> To that end, several people have asked about whether I would run in this
> election. Before the restructuring that designated chapter-selected
> seats, it was expected that my seat would be up for election as well.
> Even after deciding on the restructuring, the board looked long and hard
> for a way to have more than one seat open in this election. However,
> without requiring others to shorten the terms to which they had already
> been elected, this was not feasible, to my disappointment. The board did
> discuss the possibility that a sitting board member, appointed in some
> other fashion, could vacate their seat and run in an election for a
> different seat. (For example, if Jimmy did this, his seat would
> disappear, as the bylaws provide; if I did it, my seat would be vacant
> until the chapters select a replacement.)

There are probably very few people who can fully appreciate what
you are going through at the moment, and I certainly admit freely
I am not even close to being one. (How does one grit ones teeth
in grim appreciation of somebody elses ordeal, precisely?)

> I would not have thought of running against Florence, so this
> possibility didn't even arise until she made her decision. After
> pondering it, I have decided that I will also not be a candidate in this
> election, but will remain in the chapter-selection track for now.
> Instead I would like to offer some general observations about this
> election (not about any particular candidate).

I Frankly cannot say the same, in fact, I would feel Florence
herself would be dissapointed in me if I did not run against
her, if she (were such a thing possible) betrayed all she
stood for. I have such high regard for Florence. Personally
I would have stood against Florence in this election, had
she stood in defence of all she was against before. But in
no other circumstance. And as painful as the separation is
for her, I am personally happy I had not a hand in it. Nor a
need for such. Brava!

> It will be interesting to again have an election in which there is no
> incumbent running. From the reaction, it appears the candidates are
> looking forward to that, and I hope we get an abundance of good
> candidates. While only one board member will be chosen in this election,
> the process has also helped other good people become better known in the
> community prior to serving on the board.
>
> I am puzzled by one thing, though. Historically, female candidates have
> tended to do quite well in our elections, both for the board and on
> various projects, and yet not a single woman is running so far. I can
> certainly think of a few I would consider excellent candidates. Now I do
> not mean to suggest that because Florence is a woman, she should be
> replaced by a woman, or some other quota-like arrangement. But I do want
> to strongly encourage more thoughtful people who care about Wikimedia,
> whether or not they are female, to take advantage of this opportunity
> and make themselves available. (Again, this does not reflect on any of
> the current candidates, I simply want as many good options as possible,
> and figure the voting system will help us make a strong choice.)

Okay, now you have me really befuzzled. Why didn't you make this obser-
vation directed the other way, when Anthere and Angela were the only
chosen trustees? Or for that matter, why choose to focus on the gender
angle, and ignore for instance the current blatant norte-americano
bias on the board? I honestly don't see you have a point to stand upon...

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen