[Foundation-l] Florence and the election

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue May 20 14:58:21 UTC 2008

First of all, let me join the chorus of thanks for Florence and her hard
work serving on the board. I look forward to seeing her at Wikimania and
expressing my appreciation in person. While I regret that she won't be
standing for reelection, I hope we can take advantage of this and let
the open election be a positive experience.

To that end, several people have asked about whether I would run in this
election. Before the restructuring that designated chapter-selected
seats, it was expected that my seat would be up for election as well.
Even after deciding on the restructuring, the board looked long and hard
for a way to have more than one seat open in this election. However,
without requiring others to shorten the terms to which they had already
been elected, this was not feasible, to my disappointment. The board did
discuss the possibility that a sitting board member, appointed in some
other fashion, could vacate their seat and run in an election for a
different seat. (For example, if Jimmy did this, his seat would
disappear, as the bylaws provide; if I did it, my seat would be vacant
until the chapters select a replacement.)

I would not have thought of running against Florence, so this
possibility didn't even arise until she made her decision. After
pondering it, I have decided that I will also not be a candidate in this
election, but will remain in the chapter-selection track for now.
Instead I would like to offer some general observations about this
election (not about any particular candidate).

It will be interesting to again have an election in which there is no
incumbent running. From the reaction, it appears the candidates are
looking forward to that, and I hope we get an abundance of good
candidates. While only one board member will be chosen in this election,
the process has also helped other good people become better known in the
community prior to serving on the board.

I am puzzled by one thing, though. Historically, female candidates have
tended to do quite well in our elections, both for the board and on
various projects, and yet not a single woman is running so far. I can
certainly think of a few I would consider excellent candidates. Now I do
not mean to suggest that because Florence is a woman, she should be
replaced by a woman, or some other quota-like arrangement. But I do want
to strongly encourage more thoughtful people who care about Wikimedia,
whether or not they are female, to take advantage of this opportunity
and make themselves available. (Again, this does not reflect on any of
the current candidates, I simply want as many good options as possible,
and figure the voting system will help us make a strong choice.)

--Michael Snow