[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger of losing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Sun May 18 22:50:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> Delirium wrote:
>> In one notable
>> incident, a current member of the board (Erik) was de-sysopped by Jimmy
>> in April 2006 for unprotecting an article that a Foundation
>> representative had protected, though that protection had not been
>> labeled as an official Foundation action.
>
> I did not de-sysop Erik, ever.  To the contrary, actually.
>
> Please be careful about making such dramatic claims.
>
> --Jimbo

This is true, but your initial reaction was in favor of taking swift
preventive action. I think we all agree that what happened was an
overreaction that caused more trouble than it prevented, that you
didn't have the full situation in hand when you commented on it, but
you were not against it when it happened. (You were having dinner in
VA with Greg and me that evening.) You may have rethought the
situation soon after, but the immediate reaction caused the sparks.

My take is this: reactions happened two years ago that happen
differently now that crises are no longer managed entirely by someone
running around the office like a chicken with his head cut off
conferring by cell phone with someone who's probably getting on a
plane in five minutes, and now that we've learned from doing ten or
twenty of the infinite number of dumb things we could possibly do.
We'll probably continue to make some poor decisions in tough
situations, but hopefully different ones.

-Kat
pointed here by someone else who got to muck through the aftermath of that...

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat at wikimedia.org * Personal: kat at mindspillage.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:Mindspillage